The Ulschmid family woods: Thinning red pine

By Philip Potyondy, University of Minnesota Extension

I recently visited the Ulschmid family woodland outside of Detroit Lakes, MN.  I brought a little video camera and had a conversation with Tom and Scott Ulschmid and Minnesota DNR forester Kent Wolf.  We talked about thinning red pine and making management desicions in a woodland.

This is MyMinnesotaWoods’ first in a series of woodland visits.  It was a chilly day and my first time making a video.  Watch the video to learn why many landowners choose to thin their red pine plantations, how to know when it’s time to thin, and where to find help.

[youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlMkdxfUIOI&hl=en&fs=1]

Thinking about thinning your red pine? We suggest you start with our page on Thinning and Timber Stand Improvement, then pick up the phone to find a professional forester who can help.  Here are two great places to start:

Philip Potyondy addresses urban natural resources, tree pathology, and communication. He’s based in St Paul.